Friday, 3 January 2020

I could get used to this

Last night Ralph and I went to bed early after all the fresh air we enjoyed during the day. That and pleasant ocean breeze did much to lull us to sleep. Again I was up early with my internal clock telling me I had slept enough. I didn’t mind though as I felt quite refreshed. I was surprised at how dark it seemed. Yesterday the sun was adding light already by 6:30 even though it didn’t officially rise until 7:21 am. Peering through the window I wasn’t able to see a thing. I opened the sliding door to discover a fog that was so thick that a layer of moisture covered the chairs and railing. It actually felt kind of eerie. I stood for a while listening to hear a "fog horn" but since there isn't a lighthouse nearby, no sound was heard. except for the gentle lapping of the waves as they hit the shoreline.

The temperature however was warm registering at 20c already. A good sign of what was to come later in the day,  I did however wonder if we might have a fog delay this morning??

Ralph and I left with plenty of time to get to the course.  We somehow managed to miss the exit and found ourselves backtracking and arriving with just enough time to check in and get ready for our round.  The sun was shining brightly and for a while there wasn't a cloud in the sky.  There wasn't any hint of the fog that we experienced by the ocean so I figured that the sun had burned off all of the moisture.

With the temperature predicted to reach between 24-26c we anticipated that it would be busy at the course and we were correct.  Lots of locals were out enjoying the beautiful weather.  As a result, the round was slow but we didn't complain, as it is January and enjoying sunshine and warm temperatures is a treat that we thoroughly enjoyed.









After our round we decided to drive to Huntington Beach to catch a glimpse of the birds that are in the area.  The closer we got to the park, the darker the sky got.  It seems that the birds knew that the weather was changing and there was only a small number all bunched together on the island.  No photo opportunities today.  The weather forecast predicted rain, so it was only a matter of time before we saw small drops appearing. We only stayed a short while before heading back to our condo.  When we arrived back at the beach, we were surprised to find the fog was still there and it had never left.  The temperature was about 5 degrees cooler as well.  I'm sure glad we were able to enjoy the time we had in the sunshine at Myrtle Beach National Golf Course.



No comments: