Today we decided to spend some time at Huntington Beach to see what birds were out and about. It was a beautiful sunny day and we anticipated seeing many enjoying the low tide. We were surprised by how few birds were there. In talking to other photographers, they agreed and said that it has been quiet these past couple of weeks. Northing like last January, however, there is hope that they will slowly come down to the marsh. We saw a few Eagles (both adult and juvenile) and an Osprey along with the regular birds that are normally seen. The heron's were well hidden in the long grasses but occasionally we spotted some as they ventured out. We were lucky to see an alligator as well during our walk to the other side of the pond. It was a great way to spend the day and we were there for several hours enjoying the nature and just being out in the sunshine.
Once again there was no clouds in the sky as the sun came up but it was beautiful to see how happy the birds were.
Our first sighting of the juvenile Eagle. It doesn't get it's white head until its 2-3 years old.
Sitting right beside the causeway, I think this Heron thought we couldn't see him.
A smaller sized Heron called a "Night shade Heron" see hiding on a little island by the other pond found on the Nature walk.
This was the only Alligator that we saw. It was sitting quietly by the waters edge.
The photo's are pretty grainy but you get the idea of the Eagle that was flying above. Such a beautiful bird.
2 comments:
Hi Grace. I love the shot with the three birds. Is the one behind with the feathers on its head a baby? I wasn't sure if they were some type of mallard.
I tried to research it and I think they are Hooded Mergansers and the one I thought was a baby was the female. So cool.
Post a Comment