Today was the first day of the Kidney study that I am participating in. It was quite interesting actually. By the end of the day, I had 3 different IV's attached to my arms. I had 3 ultra sounds (all looking at my veins) and every 15 minutes my blood pressure was checked and my sugar results taken (that's every 15 minutes from 8:00-4:30). As well, on the 1/2 hour 2 tubes of blood were taken as well for analysis. My sugar was great all through the day. It was an average of about 5.1 which was being controlled by my pump. The doctor was very pleased and said that my results from today were the best they have had in this study. Tomorrow, as part of the test, they want my sugar's to run between 9-11 and this will be done by giving me sugar intravenously. (I would have preferred a chocolate bar, but I guess that's harder to control ;-)).
I was able to keep up with most of my emails while lying comfortably in bed. All in all it wasn't a bad day. Tomorrow will be a shorter day and they told me that if all goes well, we'll be finished by 3:00. I will then go back 8 weeks later (after being on a new Kidney medication (or placebo)) for 2 more days of tests. Hopefully this will help to introduce a new medication that will be used by Diabetics to help reduce the problem with the hardening of the veins that lead into the kidney's as a result of the presence of sugar in the blood (this is seen by traces of protein that spill into the urine - which is caused by holes in the kidney's as a result of the stiff arteries carrying the blood - a bit complicated, but it made sense to the doctors).
No comments:
Post a Comment