Ralph and Grace have been happily married for 45 years and currently reside in Dutton, Ontario. We have a beautiful daughter Laura who is married to Jason Van Meppelenscheppink. Jason and Laura have three beautiful children (Jordan, Hailey and Brody) and they currently live in St. Thomas. This blog is about our lives and how richly we have been blessed.
Monday, 14 January 2019
Ivory Tusk Shell
The last couple of days have been a little chilly although it's not cold enough to stop us from doing things. I spent about 2.5 hours outside walking the beach looking for shells. Today, to my surprise and delight, I have found some Ivory Tusk Shells (also known as Tooth Shells). I have been looking for these for a couple of years now. I had met a lady on the beach one day when I was shelling in October a few years ago and she showed me these shells. They are not easy to find and I guess it's dependant on how the waves are moving the sand back and forth. You really have to look closely to see them as most of the time they are submersed below the sand in an upright position. Today I was able to find some as I walked along. They weren't easy to find, hence the amount of time that I was out looking but I'm quite excited with what I was able to pick up. Many years ago, the Indians used these shells to make necklaces and beads. They are like a long skinny tube with a hole at each end. You can pull a thin thread through it to string them as the Indians did, or they can be cut and made into fine beads. It's pretty interesting.
While looking for the Ivory Tusk's, I also found a few really small shells, which I normally would have walked right by. I am amazed at what I find just by stopping and looking. Sometimes I have to walk in a circle in the same area because the sun hides them from sight. Other times when I bend down to pick one up, my eye catches sight of other ones. The beach is filled with these beautiful treasures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment