Saturday, 5 January 2019

Early morning dance of the Terns

When I awoke this morning I saw stars in the sky.  Ah, I thought to myself,  it's going to be a perfect day to get up and see a nice sunrise.  There was only a thin line of clouds on the horizon so I knew it wouldn't be dramatic as some mornings can be but still it would be nice to see the sun after so many grey cloudy mornings.

I was surprised when I opened the balcony door.  Brrr it was chilly.  The wind was blowing directly off the ocean and the temperature had dipped significantly.  I checked the weather app on my phone and discovered that it was 11c.  That explained it.  With a sweater on and my vest on top, I was prepared to stand outside with my coffee and enjoy the sunrise.  I wasn't disappointed.  It took a long time to rise this morning (or so it felt like) but it finally came wth some beautiful colour.


While watching the sunrise I enjoyed watching the terns and gulls who fly in huge flocks as the sun was coming up.  They danced across the sky going up and down and around in circles.  It's beautiful to watch and I look forward to seeing it again tomorrow morning.


It was a relaxing day for Ralph and I.  I walked the beach looking for shells before breakfast. I came in with cold hands but had a healthy glow of colour on my cheeks from the fresh air.  Already we could feel the temperature warming up.  As the day progressed, it became quite lovely outside although the wind was brisk and chilly.  Our balcony was very warm and nice to sit on out of the wind wth the sun shining.  The temperature reached 14c but felt much warmer if you were out of the wind.

I went back out again later in the afternoon (Ralph was fully engrossed in his book) with camera in hand in an attempt to capture some of the birds that we have seen along the beach.  I'm amazed at the number that are either just sitting on the waters edge or floating away in the water.  It's quite interesting to see.









It was another beautiful day!!



No comments: