This is the week that the forecasters have been warning about. Each day will get colder and colder eventually bringing snow. A possibility of 8 inches is expected. We'll see what happens. The temperature on Monday morning was sitting at 0c and for most of the day it hovered around 5c. Ralph and I went out to do a little grocery shopping and also decided to go see the eagles since we figured the rest of the week we might be staying in. The roads were all being covered in a salt brine in anticipation of the freezing weather. Many golf courses didn't open and those that did, we observed them covering their greens in the mid afternoon to ensure that they weren't damaged with the cold weather.
We had an enjoyable time watching the eagles for a few hours. We didn't see the baby raise it's head above the nest the entire time we were there and the parents themselves never sat on the nest either. Interesting and surprising given the temperature.
Tuesday morning was chilly and windy. Ralph and I were up and on the road early heading to Target to purchase a "new release" book for Laura. Little did I realize the popularity of the book and when we arrived there was a line up outside waiting for the doors to open. By the time it was our turn, there were very few left so we were glad that we came when we did as there were still many people behind us. We heard later that Target only got 30 books. Some people I am sure were disappointed.
The skies were pretty overcast and the forecasters were calling for snow later in the afternoon.
Well the snow came and we got a fair bit of it. There was enough to keep us at the condo for most of the week as they were not able to clear the roads and they eventually became very icy. I went for a walk on Wednesday morning to see the beach. It was really quite beautiful to see all the white fluffy snow. What surprised me is that it stayed for most of the week. The temperatures were often below 0c which helped stop the snow from melting.


On Thursday I spent a lot of time out on the balcony watching the Pelicans fly by and also hoping to see Dolphins. Ralph enjoyed working on the puzzle that we have going. I saw a lot of Pelicans and it was fun to watch them dive down for fish. The Seagulls would go crazy chasing the Pelicans trying to get some leftovers. What I observed is that they dive into a school of fish and I assume that they are taking a mouthful to enjoy and the gulls try to gather some of fish that have come up to the surface. So interesting to watch and learn.
I made a point of watching again on Friday however there wasn't as many Pelicans flying by. The sky was more overcast as well making it difficult to lock on focus especially when the birds where so far off in the distance. I did get a chance to see some dolphins, but again very far out. This was taken just as the sun was setting so there is some beautiful coloring on the dolphin and the water.
On Saturday we went back to watch the eagles. There wasn't much activity this time however it's still nice to get out and see some of the other birds as well. We met up with Rick and he shared that the Eaglet has been very active. Teresa and Lawrence had been there earlier in the day and enjoyed seeing the wing flapping. It's amazing how fast this little one is growing.
Once we returned to the Condo I made a point of going back out on the balcony and watched the pelicans dive for fish again. So much fun to see.
We have seen dolphins regularly this week. I look forward to the day when I will see them jumping in the water. Right now I have only seen them surfacing for air.
We've enjoyed some beautiful sunsets as well. It's been another good week. I can't believe we have been here already for a month. The time sure goes by quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment