Sunday, 27 March 2022

Myrtle Beach - March 20 - 26

The weather has been in the 20's for most of this week.  It starts off cooler in the morning but gradually warms up as the day progresses. We golfed on Monday and Tuesday (Aberdeen and Leopards Chase).  The alligators are out enjoying the sun now and we often see them on a couple of the holes.  On Wednesday, Friday and Saturday mornings Ralph and I drove the Pier to photograph the sunrise.  I had been talking about doing this ever since we got here and we finally went.  We really enjoyed the early morning sunrise. On Wednesday they were forecasting some severe storms and I was looking forward to getting some more lightning shots.  About 3:00 in the morning the storm hit and it was pretty wild.  It was directly over our condo at one point.  I was pretty nervous trying to get shots and had my camera sitting in the condo on the tripod attempting to photograph something.  When it moved over the ocean I moved outside.  It lasted till almost 4:15 in the morning.  What an experience it was.  We relaxed on Thursday as it was a full day of rain.  A good book reading day.  On Friday we went to Murrells Inlet and enjoyed watching the pelicans.  While we were there a really beautiful Osprey flew overhead.









The two pictures above were taken with the camera in the room as these lightning strikes were happening directly in front of the condo.















On Friday evening we were blessed with an amazing sunset.  We haven't had many nice sunsets that we can enjoy because at this time of the year the sun sets behind us.  I found the sky was just painted with beautiful colours.  


On Saturday we went back to Huntington to enjoy the birds and to watch a Birds of Prey demonstration.  We went early so that we could spend some time at the causeway and also  also walk down the south end of the park.  We saw the osprey again and there was a lot of alligators in the pond.  They vary in size but it was interesting to see.  During our walk at the south end, an alligator came up from one to pond to the other and walked directly in front of Ralph (maybe 5 feet away).  I had seen it coming and backed up as quickly as I could frantically changing my settings to capture a shot.  Ralph didn't quite realize what was happening as it was there so fast.  Thankfully it was only interested in getting to the other side.  The Birds of Prey demonstration was interesting.  We certainly learned alot and I'm glad we went to see the demonstration.  There was a black turkey vulture as part of the demonstration and he was so cute.  He would run around, skip, jump and run into the crowd of people watching.  You could tell that he was really used to people.  It was a fun day.





I love this shot of the snowy egret.  If you look closely you can see it's eye just at the surface of the water.




The beautiful breeding eye.  I love how green the eye mask gets at this time of year.


Another favourite shot of mine.  If you enlarge the photo you get a better view of the herons face.  I call it peek a boo.

Lastly a few shots from the Birds of Prey show.





It's been a very full week but we both have really enjoyed ourselves.  We've started packing and plan to leave for home early Thursday morning.  

No comments: