This week is a time of settling in. We loaded up on groceries on Tuesday, got things fixed in the condo and unpacked our bags. I spent two hours walking the beach and enjoying the fresh ocean air. It had rained all morning but once we were done with groceries and chores it was nice to go out exploring. I didn’t find any shells or sharks teeth this time but I did find a smattering of acorns along the beach. What I really enjoyed was the different colours. I plan to dry these and do some kind of craft with them.
On Wednesday morning we were greeted with a beautiful sunrise. It felt chilly standing on the balcony (6c with a real feel of 2c) but it’s suppose to warm up as the day progresses.
 |
| If you look closely in the clouds you can see a flock of pigeons flying |
We went to Huntington Beach State Park on Wednesday. We had heard that there was a screech owl in the park so we wanted to see if we could find it. Unfortunately we weren't successful but we're sure we found the place that it likes to sit so we planned to go back the next day as we had a round of golf planned and it was in the same area. We were also looking for spoonbills but we didn't see any. We did however see a Wilson Snipe (a new lifer for us). That was exciting.
 |
| Female Kingfisher |
 |
| Osprey |
 |
| Great Egrets nesting area |
 |
| White Pelicans |
 |
| Mockingbird |
 |
| Little Blue Heron |
 |
| Great Blue Heron (in hiding) |
 |
| Wilson Snipe |
On Thursday we returned to the park around 7:30 a.m. to see if the owl was in the tree. It wasn't and we didn't really have time to go looking as we had a round of golf booked for 8:30. We golfed at Litchfield and were matched up with another couple (Rick and Cheryl). They were both very nice and it was a fun round. It started off a little chilly but warmed up nicely as the round progressed.
After our round we went back to Huntington. This time we were successful. Oh my - a screech owl is so beautiful and small. We didn't stay long to photograph him as it's important to respect their habitat.
We spent a couple of hours enjoying the park before heading back to the condo. It's so nice to be back enjoying the birds.
 |
| Pied Bill Grebe |
 |
| Pied Bill Grebe |
 |
| White Pelicans |
 |
| Courtship dance - Merganser |
 |
| Showing off the full hood - Merganswer |
 |
| Courtship Dance - Merganswer |
 |
| Juvenile Ibis |
 |
| Snowy Egret |
 |
| Hooded Merganser |
 |
| Ibis |
 |
| Ibis |
 |
| Dunlin |
On Thursday evening around bedtime we saw a fishing trawler go by and it will still around when we woke up on Friday morning. It was pretty full of fish. I thought it was cool that I was able to capture the fishermen working with the fish.
On Saturday we saw another fishing trawler going by. I guess the fish must be pretty plentiful here.
I have been trying to keep up with my walks. Most days it’s just me and the seagulls.
In between church services on Sunday Ralph and I went back to Huntington Beach. I must say it was pretty cold out and we were both wearing woolen hats and many layers. We only stayed for a couple of hours but it was enough time to enjoy seeing the Eagle and some of the other birds that were there.
 |
| Eagle and tricolour heron |
 |
| Tricolour heron |
 |
| Black crowned Night Heron |
 |
| Little Blue Heron |
 |
| Great Blue Heron |
No comments:
Post a Comment