Sunday, 11 June 2017

Getting ready to leave

For the past week I have been enjoying watching the baby robins grow. I"m amazed at how quickly  they have grown and am sad that they will be soon leaving.  I expect that it might be in a day or so where I will find the nest empty. I'm not really sure.  This is the first time that I have ever really studied their activities.

Does anyone know if baby birds lay eggs?  I know it's an odd question to ask but the mother is constantly taking something out of the nest that looks like eggs. I was able to capture it on film but would be interested if anyone knows anything about this?  I tried researching this on line and couldn't find any information.





The mother flies continuously back and forth feeding her young.


It's getting a little crowded here



Instruction from Mom















Apparently this is very unusual that the male takes part in feeding the young.  It was really nice to see.









Here is the baby releasing what looks like an egg.  Mom  then takes it away from the nest.







I also had a visit from a Cardinal while I was in the backyard. This is one of my favourite birds.  






2 comments:

Arja said...

You have some beautiful shots here, Grace. I think what the momma is removing from the nest is "bird poop" for lack of a better explanation. They obviously like to keep a clean house.

RalphandGrace said...

Thanks Arja. My sister in law Christine said the same thing. It's amazing the timing of it all as the bird seems to know when to come an catch it just in time :-).